.W.E.L.C.O.M.E.

This is going to be a self awareness blog consisting of recipes, talk about workout, and inspirational ideas. I am leaving it open to the public because I hope it will become useful tool for others, and I really hope to meet like minded people to talk about this stuff with! Jump right in reading, or start at the introduction.  Again, welcome. 


Saturday, January 30, 2010

Troubled Waters

This weekend has been tough. I thought I was most of the way there already, so why would completely vegetarian almost vegan be an issue? 2 weeks into being more aware of my diet, I really crashed today into a sweets binge. I have been missing something from my diet to have had such a horrendous eating day. I am almost ashamed to blog about it.

I think it might be protein. Protein gives you a different more sustained energy than carbohydrates, which is better for energy dip controlling (blah blah blah we all know.. haha). Looking back on these past weeks: I ran out of soy milk and tofu early last week. So, its been maybe a couple of servings of beans total. Oops.

I had issues leaving the house due to my back, I felt bad spending money, I wanted to avoid the processed meat replacers. I.. I... excuses! I need to take care of myself! I caved and bought some of those boca (vegan) and morning star burgers (spicy black bean) tonight, as well as replenishing my stock of soymilk and tofu (on sale?!). I boiled a huge pot of beans to jar and have available for the week. Go me! Hopefully next week will go better.
 
I found some interesting articles on how to make sure you get enough protein and how protein is available in plant form (a discussion of incomplete vs complete and complimenting proteins). I liked this article because finding protein was one thing I was worried about when I started cutting out yogurt and fish. Especially because I like to work out. I super liked this graph I found article at savvyvegetarian.com (I'm a visual person :P):



1 comment:

  1. I can easily get 90g of protein a day if I think about it. Have you tried seitan yet? You can buy it or make it yourself and it is VERY high in protein. I also really like roasted shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas). They have almost 10g of protein in 1/4 cup.

    People talk a lot about how we don't actually need as much protein as we're led to think we do (after all, almost no one in this country suffers from protein deficiency: kwashiorkor), but I still like to keep it high, I tend to head over to sweets less when I do.

    Don't feel guilty about blogging it, that's the point right?!!

    ReplyDelete